We welcome everybody to the College and actively encourage people with disabilities to join us. If you have a particular need, we offer a wide range of courses to suit students who have learning difficulties or disabilities. We can help you follow a programme specifically designed to meet your learning needs or to take a course that reflects your interests or career aspirations. Adjustments will be made, where possible and reasonable, to ensure that students with disabilities are not put at a disadvantage. We make sure we provide appropriate support for students at all our centres, always striving to meet individual needs.
For more information about support for students with a learning difficulty or disability please contact the Learning Support Team on (01323) 637258 who will be happy to assist.
The College is also signed up to the Mindful Employer Charter for employees who are positive about mental health and is aimed at increasing awareness of mental health at work. By signing up to the Charter the College demonstrates its commitment to showing a positive and enabling attitude to employees and job applicants with mental health issues.
Two Ticks Employer
We are a longstanding ‘two ticks’ disability employer, which means that we are positive about disabled people and have made commitments to employ, retain and develop the abilities of disabled staff. We are currently exploring the opportunity of becoming a Disability Confident Champion.
As a ‘two ticks’ disability employer we have made five commitments regarding recruitment, training, retention, consultation and disability awareness. These commitments are:
- To interview all disabled job applicants who meet the minimum criteria and to consider them for their abilities
- To discuss with disabled employees what both parties can do to make sure disabled employees can develop and use their abilities
- To make every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment
- To take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make these commitments work
- To review these commitments each year and assess what has been achieved and plan ways to improve on them
Disability Task Force
The Disability Task Force at Sussex Downs College exists to provide a forum for disability related discussions, identifying priorities for action, helping promote disability awareness and contributing to the College’s Equality and Diversity programme. The group is open to all staff and students with an interest in disability issues and meets on a regular basis.If you would like to get involved and are interested in joining the group or you would like further information then please contact our College Disability Champion:
- Penny MacKay