HND Creative Media Production (Broadcast Journalism)
This two-year vocational course will provide you with the tools that you need to apply and work successfully as a journalist or to continue studies towards a specialist journalism degree. You will learn how to research and make practical content across many disciplines of the industry including Radio, Print and factual programme making for television.
You will develop the analytical skills and legal knowledge required to work as a journalist as well as developing your practical skills in this new era of digital journalism and the impact that social media has had on the industry. As well as covering the course content, you will have opportunities for real work experience and undertaking live briefs, through which you will build a portfolio of work and relevant experience which will help you to join this growth industry. The college will support you with the hardware and software you need. As well as working in well equipped workshops and studios. – This course is subject to approval.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
The HND has been designed for students who wish to:
- Develop the skills required to find, research and present stories for specified target audiences.
- Develop a wide range of practical skills that the industry demands
- Understand, respect and adhere to the legal requirements industry
- Learn about traditional journalistic skills and how they underpin modern approaches.
- Develop their own subject specialism and independently explore the potential of their chosen pathway through professional work experience.
WHAT WILL YOU STUDY?
Contextual Studies for Creative Media Production; Research Techniques; Practical Skills for Journalism; Journalism Studies; Interview and Presentation Techniques for Radio; News Journalism for Print; Shorthand for Journalists; Radio Documentary Production; Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation; Special Subject Investigation for Creative Media Production; Career Development for Journalism; Moving Image Documentary Production; Interview and Presentation Techniques for Television; Photojournalism; Feature Writing for Newspapers and Magazines; and Convergent Journalism.
HOW CAN YOU APPLY?
- You should apply directly to the College
- You will need: 60 UCAS Tariff Points from a minimum of one 6 unit qualification. UCAS course code yet to be confirmed.
- We welcome applicants with other qualifications or relevant experience to apply. Individual offers may vary.
To discuss your application please contact Higher.Education@Sussexdowns.ac.uk
WHAT CAN YOU DO AFTER THIS COURSE?
Graduates can progress to further study to achieve a full Honours degree or apply for junior positions within the industry.