Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (UAL)
Sussex Downs College is an approved centre for the University of the Arts Awarding Body, and we have been awarded Artsmark Gold for its creative and
performance arts education, by the Arts Council England. We are one of just fifteen colleges across the country that has achieved the Gold award.
|Minimum age||16 years old|
|Academic requirement||Successful completion of Senior Secondary School above GCSE level. A satisfactory portfolio of art, design and craft work. Please note that our Art Tutors are looking for a comprehensive portfolio of art work.|
|Minimum level of English||Upper-intermediate/CEFR B2/IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.0 in all papers)|
|Course date||4 September 2017 to 29 June 2018|
|Maximum class size||18 Students|
|Course duration||1 year|
ABOUT THE ART & DESIGN FOUNDATION DIPLOMA
The Art and Design Foundation Diploma is a practical and exciting one year course designed to fully prepare you for an art or design based university programme. You will study alongside UK students, giving you the opportunity to develop your English language skills and to experience British culture. All tutors are practising artists, designers and craftsmen, who will support you throughout your course and encourage you to develop your creative skills. The main areas of this course are Graphics and Illustration, Fashion and Textiles, Fine Art, 3D Design and Crafts, and there are also opportunities to specialise further.
You will study a wide range of subjects including:
- Fine Art: Painting, Sculpture and Contemporary Practice
- Graphic Design
- Digital Image Manipulation and New Media
- Furniture, Product and Interior Design
- Theatre and Costume Design
- Fashion Design
- Metal, Wood, Ceramics and Glass
Another important element of this course is Contextual Studies, which includes the History of Art and Critical Studies (the study of society and theories of art production). This theoretical aspect of the course will enable you to critically assess and discuss works of art. As part of your course you will also be able to take part in field trips, visit relevant art exhibitions and galleries, as well as developing your own portfolio of work.
Please click here to view our students’ art work during their course with us.
Our students have high success rates at gaining places at top UK universities and art colleges, such as Central Saint Martins, Edinburgh University, Goldsmiths College, Kingston University, London College of Communications, London College of Fashion, Ravensbourne, the University of Brighton, and Winchester School of Art.
- One year intensive programme
- 25 hours per week
- Gain entry to a wide range of art-based degree programmes on successful completion
- All students have their own work space
- Study alongside UK students
- Receive English language support
- You must be at least 18 years old by December in the year of entry
- English language level equivalent to IELTS 5.5 (Academic) with a minimum of 5.0 in all four papers
- A satisfactory portfolio of art, design and craft work
- A senior secondary school certificate above GCSE level
- EU students are required to have a GCSE qualification or equivalent in Maths and English or obtain them as part of their course.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click on this link to complete our online application form:
Telephone:44 (0)30 300 38787
Postal Address: International Office, Sussex Downs College, Mountfield Road, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2XH