Carbon Management Plan
College commits to 25% energy reduction
Sussex Downs college has commited to 25% energy reduction (electricty and gas) over 5 years. Since the Principal signed the Green Colleges Declaration sustainability is becoming increasingly integrated into all aspects of college life, and there are many exciting staff initiatives which support this.
Senior management are currently working in partnership with The Carbon Trust to design and implement a five year carbon reduction plan.
Over the summer, a whole site energy assessment has been done, with a specific focus on electricity and gas consumption. The aim is to reduce our consumption by 25% over a five year timescale.
Estates staff will be running several projects aimed at reducing energy consumption. This includes attaching energy saving devices to fridges, assessing in an evaluative fashion of use of light bulbs and various other energy saving measures.
New Developments across the college
- Closing on Monday evenings and some weekends to save energy
- Closing floors at times to reduce electricity consumption
- Computers turn off automatically each night
- Photocopiers go into power down mode at night
- Gradual replacement of light bulbs with energy efficient fittings
- Formulating plans for further reductions to comply with Legislation commencing in April 2010
- New staff now have a green Induction
- The new 7 R’s has become a Facilities target
- We’re requesting reduced packaging from companies.
New Curriculum initiatives this year include:
- Green Projects on all Access courses as part of study skills
- Remanufacturing in Engineering – re using materials
- Green Module in Chemistry – the impacts of chemicals on the environment
- Economics – investigating the impact of the current economic model on CC
- Physics – renewable energy investigations
- Trashion course – making fashion from Trash